Apply Online Now
Anthem BlueCross BlueShield Colorado – Blue Short Term PPO Health Plans
Anthem Blue Short Term PPO is an affordable short-term health insurance plan from Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Colorado that provides individuals and families essential protection against unexpected accidents or illness. This plan utilizes the Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO network of doctors and hospitals and provides coverage from 30 – 180 days. Blue Short Term PPO is your temporary health insurance solution if you are:
- Experiencing a gap in employer coverage or can’t afford COBRA.
- Waiting for employer coverage to begin.
- Between jobs or laid off
- Losing dependent status
- Looking for a lower-cost alternative to COBRA
- Recently graduated and still seeking your dream job.
- Age 64 and about to retire, but not yet eligible for Medicare.
Blue Short Term PPO covers many of the most costly health care services, including:
- Office visits
- Prescription drugs – up to $500
- Inpatient and outpatient medical, surgical and hospital services.
- Diagnostic services (lab and x-ray)
- Emergency room and urgent care
- Ambulance – up to $2,500
- Home healthcare – up to 40 visits
- Human organ and tissue transplant – up to $1,000,000
- Durable medical equipment – plans pays 50% of covered services after deductible
Once your deductible has been reached, Blue Short Term plan pays 80% of covered services. You pay the remaining 20% until your total out-of-pocket expense for covered services is met. Once that limit is reached, the plan pays 100% for most covered services, up to the $1 million maximum.
Design your own plan
With Blue Short Term plan, you get choices. Decide for yourself what fits your needs. When do you want your coverage to start? How long will you need coverage – one, two, three, four, five, or six months? Select the deductible that’s right for you, from as low as $250 all the way up to $2,500. And with that choice, you can influence what your coverage will cost.
|Length of Coverage||30 – 180 days|
|Deductible||$250 single / $500 family $500 single / $1,000 family $1,000 single / $2,000 family $2,500 single / $5,000 family|
|Out-of-Pocket Limit (maximum)||$5,250 single / $10,500 family $5,500 single / $11,000 family $6,000 single / $12,000 family $7,500 single / $15,000 family|
|Covered Services Coinsurance||You pay 20%|
|Prescription Drugs||You pay 20%1|
|Office Visits||You pay 20%|
|Lifetime Maximum||$1 million|
|1Separate $250 Rx deductible for prescription drugs. This does not go toward the out-of-pocket maximum. $500 maximum per member per benefit period.|
Reapplying for another short term plan
If you still need temporary insurance when your first Blue Short Term plan expires and you are still able to answer no to the questions under Part E of the application, you may reapply as often as needed (within a maximum term of 360 days) by completing a new application and sending it in with the appropriate premium. After the 360-day limit, you must wait at least six (6) months before reapplying for another short term plan.
You can apply for coverage for yourself or with yourfamily. You must be a resident of the state in which you are applying, a legal resident of the U.S. and not currently pregnant. Family health coverage includes you, your spouse or domestic partner and any dependent children. Children are covered to the end of the month in which they turn 25. The following dependent children are eligible for coverage: (no minimum support required from a parent or guardian)
- Unmarried or married son or daughter
- Unmarried stepchildren
- Unmarried children for whom you or your spouse is the legal guardian
For the following dependent children to be eligible for coverage, you a parent or guardian must provide at least 50% of their support:
- Married stepchildren
- Married children for whom you or your spouse is the legal guardian
- Married or unmarried grandchildren or other blood relative
Preexisting conditions are not covered under this plan. A preexisting condition is a condition for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received during the 24 months right before you enrolled. Any condition that occurred in any earlier plan benefit period will be a preexisting condition under a subsequent plan benefit period.
Short Term Medical vs COBRA
A short term health plan is an excellent alternative to expenseive COBRA premiums for most healthy individuals. Individuals who will need (or soon need) medical care for an exisiting chronic medical condition should elect COBRA since short term medical insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions.